Likely WAEC Questions On English and Answers 2023 – English language is a crucial subject in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), commonly known as WAEC. It is a compulsory subject for all students, and it requires a solid understanding of grammar, comprehension, and essay writing skills. As the 2023 WAEC examination draws closer, students need to prepare thoroughly to excel in the English language examination. This article aims to provide sample objective and essay questions with answers to guide students in their preparation for the English language examination.
Related Post: Waec Past Questions and Answers for all subjects
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE THAT MAY CLAIM TO BE OUR STAFF OR ANYTHING. WE DON'T ENGAGE IN FRAUD OR ANY ACT THAT UNDERMINES WAEC BOARD. (Please Be Guided)
Here are some likely WAEC questions on English:
- Comprehension: Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow: (A passage will be provided with questions that assess the candidate’s ability to comprehend, interpret, and analyze information presented in the passage.)
- Summary Writing: Write a summary of the passage below in not more than 100 words. (A passage will be provided with instructions to write a summary that captures the main points of the passage.)
- Lexis and Structure: Choose the option that best completes the sentence. (A sentence with a gap or missing word(s) will be provided with multiple options to complete it. The candidate is expected to choose the option that best fits.)
- Oral English: Read the following sentences aloud and answer the questions that follow. (Sentences will be provided with questions that assess the candidate’s ability to read aloud and pronounce words correctly.)
- Essay Writing: Write an essay on the topic below in not less than 450 words. (A topic will be provided with instructions to write an essay that explores the candidate’s ability to organize and present ideas logically and coherently.)
- Antonyms and Synonyms: Choose the word that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the underlined word. (A sentence with an underlined word will be provided with options for the candidate to choose the word that is most nearly opposite in meaning.)
- Idioms and Proverbs: Choose the option that best explains the meaning of the idiom/proverb. (An idiom or proverb will be provided with multiple options for the candidate to choose the option that best explains its meaning.)
Likely WAEC Questions On English 2023
here are some sample objective questions for WAEC English with options, answers, and explanations:
- What is the synonym of “lucid” in the sentence “Her explanation was lucid and easy to understand”?
a) vague b) complex c) clear d) confusing
Explanation: “Lucid” means clear and easy to understand, so the correct answer is c) clear. Vague means unclear, complex means difficult to understand, and confusing means causing perplexity and confusion. Therefore, they are not synonyms of “lucid” in this context.
- Choose the option that best describes the underlined word in the sentence: “The artist’s exhibition was a great success.”
a) adjective b) noun c) verb d) adverb
Answer: b) noun
Explanation: The underlined word “exhibition” is a noun, referring to the artist’s display of their work.
- Which of the following sentences contains an error in subject-verb agreement?
a) The team of players play well together. b) Neither the teacher nor the students were happy with the exam results. c) Each of the singers perform at their best. d) The committee is divided on the issue of funding.
Answer: a) The team of players play well together.
Explanation: The subject “team” is singular, so the verb should also be singular: “The team of players plays well together.”
- Choose the correct word to complete the sentence: “I’m afraid I can’t come to the party because I have __________ to do.”
a) many works b) many work c) much work d) much works
Answer: c) much work
Explanation: The word “work” is a non-countable noun, so it should be used with “much” instead of “many.”
- Which of the following sentences uses figurative language?
a) The sun rose slowly over the horizon. b) The cat sat on the windowsill, watching the birds outside. c) The wind whispered through the trees in the forest. d) The raindrops danced on the roof of the car.
Answer: d) The raindrops danced on the roof of the car.
Explanation: The phrase “danced on the roof” is an example of personification, which is a form of figurative language.
- Choose the correct word to complete the sentence: “I need to buy some __________ for my essay.” a) stationary b) stationery c) stationnary d) stationnery
Answer: b) stationery
Explanation: “Stationery” refers to paper, envelopes, pens, and other writing materials. “Stationary” means not moving or still.
- Which of the following sentences uses a coordinating conjunction? a) The sun is shining, but it’s still cold outside. b) Although it’s raining, I’m still going for a walk. c) I’m going to the store to buy some milk. d) The concert was great, and I really enjoyed it.
Answer: a) The sun is shining, but it’s still cold outside.
Explanation: The coordinating conjunction “but” is used to join two independent clauses in this sentence.
- Choose the option that best describes the underlined word in the sentence: “The teacher asked the students to brainstorm some ideas for their essays.” a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) adverb
Answer: b) verb
Explanation: The underlined word “brainstorm” is a verb, which means to generate ideas through group discussion.
- Which of the following sentences contains a comma splice? a) The movie was really good, but it was also quite long. b) I went to the store, and then I came back home. c) She likes to read books, she also enjoys watching movies. d) We had pizza for dinner, and it was delicious.
Answer: c) She likes to read books, she also enjoys watching movies.
Explanation: A comma splice occurs when two independent clauses are joined together with only a comma. In this sentence, the two clauses “She likes to read books” and “she also enjoys watching movies” should be separated by a period or a semicolon.
- Choose the correct word to complete the sentence: “I’m not sure if I _________ enough money to buy a new phone.” a) have b) has c) had d) having
Answer: a) have
Explanation: The subject “I” requires the verb “have” in the present tense. “Has” is used with third-person singular subjects, such as “he” or “she.”
- Choose the correct word to complete the sentence: “The teacher asked us to ________ the meaning of the word.” a) guess b) find c) inquire d) research
Answer: c) inquire
Explanation: The word “inquire” means to ask for information, which makes sense in the context of the sentence.
- Which of the following sentences contains a dangling modifier? a) While walking to the store, the sun started to set. b) Driving down the highway, the scenery was breathtaking. c) After eating the pizza, the box was thrown away. d) Hearing the news, a feeling of joy overcame her.
Answer: c) After eating the pizza, the box was thrown away.
Explanation: The phrase “after eating the pizza” modifies the subject “the box,” which does not make sense. It would be better to rephrase the sentence to something like “After eating the pizza, she threw away the box.”
- Choose the option that best describes the underlined word in the sentence: “The river was tranquil and peaceful.” a) noun b) adjective c) verb d) adverb
Answer: b) adjective
Explanation: The underlined word “tranquil” describes the river, so it is an adjective.
- Which of the following sentences contains a comma splice? a) I went to the store, but I forgot my wallet. b) She likes to read books, listen to music, and watch movies. c) He’s a great musician, he can play several instruments. d) We walked to the park, then we played some basketball.
Answer: c) He’s a great musician, he can play several instruments.
Explanation: A comma splice occurs when two independent clauses are joined by a comma without a coordinating conjunction. In this sentence, “He’s a great musician” and “he can play several instruments” are both independent clauses, so they should be joined with a semicolon or a coordinating conjunction.
- Choose the correct word to complete the sentence: “The company’s profits have been ________ this quarter.” a) raise b) raised c) risen d) rose
Answer: c) risen
Explanation: The past participle of “rise” is “risen,” which is the correct form to use in this sentence to indicate that the company’s profits have increased.
- Choose the correct word to complete the sentence: “I __________ my phone at home this morning.” a) forget b) forgot c) have forgotten d) will forget
Answer: b) forgot
Explanation: The correct tense for this sentence is past tense, so the correct form of the verb “forget” is “forgot.”
- Which of the following is an example of a compound sentence? a) He went to the store, and she stayed home. b) She worked hard on her essay. c) I want to eat pizza for dinner. d) The dog barked all night long.
Answer: a) He went to the store, and she stayed home.
Explanation: A compound sentence is a sentence that contains two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction (in this case, “and”). The other options are not compound sentences.
- What is the meaning of the word “conceited”? a) shy b) arrogant c) generous d) dishonest
Answer: b) arrogant
Explanation: “Conceited” means having an excessively high opinion of oneself; arrogant.
- Choose the correct punctuation for the following sentence: “My favorite colors are blue green and purple.” a) My favorite colors are blue, green, and purple. b) My favorite colors are blue green, and purple. c) My favorite colors are blue, green and purple. d) My favorite colors are blue, green and, purple.
Answer: a) My favorite colors are blue, green, and purple.
Explanation: When listing three or more items in a sentence, they should be separated by commas, with the last two items separated by a comma and a conjunction (“and” in this case).
- Which of the following is an example of a metaphor? a) The leaves rustled in the wind. b) The sky was as blue as the ocean. c) The sun set slowly over the horizon. d) His words were a soothing balm for her troubled soul.
Answer: d) His words were a soothing balm for her troubled soul.
Explanation: A metaphor is a figure of speech that directly compares one thing to another, without using “like” or “as.” The other options use similes or descriptions, but not metaphors.
For complete questions contact (+2347060482755 WhatsApp Only)
ESSAY – PART A (ESSAY)
- Write an essay on the topic “The Impact of Social Media on Society.”
Social media has become an integral part of our daily lives, and its impact on society is undeniable. On the one hand, social media has revolutionized the way we communicate and connect with one another. It has made it easier for people to stay in touch with friends and family, regardless of where they are in the world. It has also made it possible for businesses to reach out to potential customers and promote their products and services.
However, social media has also brought about some negative consequences. It has given rise to cyberbullying, which can have serious consequences for its victims. Social media has also been accused of promoting unrealistic beauty standards, leading to low self-esteem and body image issues.
In conclusion, while social media has its benefits, we must be aware of its potential negative consequences. We should use social media responsibly and educate ourselves about the risks associated with its use.
- Write an essay on the topic “The Importance of Education.”
Education is essential for the growth and development of individuals and society as a whole. It provides individuals with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in their personal and professional lives. Education also plays a critical role in building a prosperous and stable society.
Education is not only about acquiring knowledge but also about developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It teaches individuals how to think independently, analyze information, and make informed decisions. Education also promotes social and cultural awareness and helps to build a more tolerant and inclusive society.
In conclusion, education is crucial for personal and societal development. It is a fundamental right that should be accessible to all individuals, regardless of their background or circumstances.
- Write an essay on the topic “The Effects of Climate Change.”
Climate change is one of the most pressing issues facing our planet today. The earth’s climate is changing at an alarming rate, with rising temperatures, melting glaciers, and increased sea levels. These changes have significant implications for the environment, economy, and human health.
The effects of climate change are already being felt around the world, with more frequent natural disasters such as floods, droughts, and wildfires. Climate change is also affecting agriculture, with changes in rainfall patterns and rising temperatures affecting crop yields and food security.
To combat climate change, we must take urgent action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote sustainable practices. This includes investing in renewable energy sources, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, and implementing policies that promote sustainability and conservation.
In conclusion, climate change is a global issue that requires collective action. We must work together to protect our planet and ensure a sustainable future for generations to come.
PART B (ESSAY)
Write a story that illustrates the proverb “A stitch in time saves nine.”
Once upon a time, there was a boy named Tom who was known for his laziness. He would always put off doing his homework until the last minute and would often leave his chores undone. One day, his mother noticed that the hem of his favorite shirt was coming undone. She told Tom to fix it right away, but he said he would do it later.
Days went by, and the tear in the shirt grew bigger and bigger. Tom realized that he needed to fix it before it got worse. He spent a few minutes sewing the hem, and it was good as new. However, as he was admiring his handiwork, he noticed that another shirt needed mending. He fixed it quickly and then went on to repair other items around the house.
Tom learned that it was better to take care of things as soon as possible, rather than waiting until they got worse. From then on, he became more responsible and proactive in his tasks.
Write an article for your school magazine on the topic “The Importance of Reading.”
Reading is an essential skill that is necessary for success in all areas of life. It is through reading that we gain knowledge, expand our vocabulary, and develop critical thinking skills. In this article, we will explore the importance of reading and its benefits.
Firstly, reading is a fundamental way of acquiring knowledge. It helps us to understand the world around us, learn about new subjects, and gain insight into different cultures. Whether it is through textbooks, newspapers, or novels, reading provides us with an endless source of information.
In addition, reading is a great way to improve our language skills. It helps us to expand our vocabulary, develop our grammar, and improve our spelling. This, in turn, makes us better communicators, both in writing and speaking.
Reading also helps to develop our critical thinking skills. When we read, we are exposed to different ideas and perspectives. We are forced to analyze and evaluate the information we are presented with. This enables us to think critically and make informed decisions.
Furthermore, reading has been shown to have a positive impact on mental health. It is a great way to relax and unwind, especially when we are feeling stressed or anxious. It has also been linked to improved cognitive function and a reduced risk of age-related cognitive decline.
In conclusion, reading is an essential skill that should be cultivated from a young age. It is through reading that we gain knowledge, improve our language skills, and develop critical thinking abilities. So, pick up a book today and start reading!
For complete questions AND answers contact (+2347060482755 WhatsApp Only)