Getting admitted into a tertiary institution in Nigeria is a dream for many students. However, the admission process can sometimes be confusing and overwhelming. The two major bodies responsible for giving admission in Nigeria are the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and the tertiary institutions. and in this post, we shall discuss How Does Jamb Give Admission Versus How Institutions Give Admission.
Before we discuss the differences between How Jamb Give Admission and How Institutions give admission, let’s break down some points about the process students are offered admission in Nigeria Institutions.
- How to Print Original Jamb Result
- Jamb Result Checker Portal 2023
- 10 Things To Do After JAMB 2023 UTME
- How to Retrieve Your Jamb Profile Code (A Step by Step Guide)
- How to Retrieve Your JAMB Registration Number
- How to Link Email to Jamb (Update Email on Jamb Portal)
- How to Upload O’level Result on Jamb Portal
- Check All School Cutt off mark
- Post UTME News and Past Questions
- Can Jamb Result Be Upgraded – Real or Fake
- How To Check Jamb Caps to Accept and Reject Admission
- How To Create Jamb Profile
Admission Process In Nigeria Institutions
JAMB is responsible for conducting the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) which is a prerequisite for gaining admission into any Nigerian university, polytechnic, or college of education. The UTME is a computer-based test that assesses candidates’ knowledge of subjects such as English, Mathematics, and three other subjects related to their field of study. The examination is usually held in March or April of every year.
After the UTME, JAMB sets a cut-off mark which serves as the minimum score required for admission into any tertiary institution in Nigeria. Each institution also sets its own cut-off mark based on its requirements and the number of applicants it can admit.
After the UTME, candidates are expected to proceed with post-UTME screening exercise organized by their chosen institutions. The screening usually involves testing the candidate’s knowledge of the relevant subjects and assessing their academic performance in previous examinations such as O’level and JAMB results.
The combination of the candidate’s JAMB score and post-UTME screening results will then be used to generate a merit list, which shows the ranking of candidates who meet the cut-off mark of the institution.
The admission process varies depending on the institution’s policy. Some institutions may give admission based solely on merit while others may consider other factors such as catchment areas, gender, and disadvantaged groups.
It is important to note that JAMB only provides a platform for candidates to be considered for admission. The final decision on admission is made by the institution, based on their admission criteria.
Now let’s see the difference between the JAMB Admission process and Schools Admission Process below;
How Does Jamb Give Admission?
Below is the process JAMB Gives Admission;
- Conduct UTME: JAMB conducts the UTME, which is a standardized examination that serves as a basis for admission into tertiary institutions.
- Release UTME Results: After the examination, JAMB releases the results to candidates, which determines their eligibility for admission. (See Jamb Result Checker Portal 2023)
- Set Admission Guidelines: JAMB sets admission guidelines, such as cut-off marks and quotas for different programs, which institutions must follow. (Check All School Cutt off mark)
- Generate Admission List: JAMB generates a list of eligible candidates based on their UTME scores and other criteria, such as catchment area and educational history. (How to Check Admission List on Jamb Caps)
- Send List to Institutions: JAMB sends the list of eligible candidates to the institutions for further processing and consideration.
How Institutions Give Admission
Below is the process Nigeria Institutions Gives Admission;
- Receive JAMB List: Institutions receive the list of eligible candidates from JAMB.
- Conduct Post-UTME: Institutions conduct post-UTME screening tests or other forms of assessment to further evaluate candidates and determine their eligibility for admission. (Follow up POST-UTME News Here)
- Set Admission Criteria: Institutions set their own admission criteria, such as departmental cut-off marks and quotas, based on JAMB guidelines and their own internal policies. (Check All School Cutt off mark)
- Generate Admission List: Institutions generate a list of successful candidates who have met their admission criteria.
- Send List to JAMB: Institutions send their admission lists to JAMB for verification and final approval.
- Issue Admission Letters: Finally, institutions issue admission letters to successful candidates, who then proceed to complete their registration and begin their academic program.
Before we wrap it up, let’s see answers to some frequently asked questions below;
How long does it take JAMB to give admission?
Once the institutions have submitted their lists, JAMB will then proceed to verify and approve the lists. This process can take several weeks, especially if there are issues with the list or if there are many candidates to be considered.
How Will I know if JAMB Has Given Me admission?
Once JAMB has offered you admission, they will notify you through their online portal or by sending you a message to the phone number you provided during registration.
Does JAMB give admission first before school?
JAMB does not give admission first before schools. The admission process usually starts with JAMB, which conducts the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and sets the minimum cut-off marks for admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria. However, the final decision on admission is made by individual institutions based on their admission criteria and available space.
In summary, while JAMB sets the guidelines and generates a list of eligible candidates, the institutions themselves conduct further screening and ultimately make the decision on who they admit based on their own admission criteria. It is important for candidates to understand these processes and follow up with both JAMB and their chosen institutions in order to increase their chances of being admitted.
- How To Calculate Cut Off Mark For Unilag
- How To Calculate Cut Off Mark For Lasu
- How To Calculate Cut Off Mark For Futa
- How To Calculate Cut Off Mark For Uniben
- How To Calculate Cut Off Mark For Laspotech
- How To Calculate Cut Off Mark For Yabatech